A plastic goniometer is useful for measuring joint range of motion. This information can be used to:
- Determining the presence of muscle, tendon or joint dysfunction
- Diagnosing the underlying condition;
- Developing goals for treating the condition;
- Evaluating the progress the patient is making during recovery (is the joint range of motion actually improving?);
- Decide on a new treatment strategy if the original strategy isn’t working.
Plastic goniometers can also be used to measure angles when designers are fabricating an orthosis to treat a specific joint dysfunction.